Buckeye application

A place for potential cadets to submit their applications to the 51st Bisons! Thing you got the 'stuff' to be a true PVO pilot? Apply now!
Buckeye

Buckeye application

Post by Buckeye » 01 Aug 2018 17:31

Callsign: Buckeye

Name: Brandon

Location: Columbus, OH, USA (Eastern Time Zone, GMT -5:00:00)

Flightsim experience: ~1.75 years (Started in 2014 with DCS, my first flight sim...but in early 2015 I had to take a 2.5 year break for my career. I returned in August of 2017.)

About yourself: I am just your typical middle aged fighter jet enthusiast turned professional flight sim nerd. When I’m not busy being a professional DCS pilot, as a side-gig I work in Finance doing Acquisitions and Divestures for a large corporation. The pinnacle of my love for aviation centers around Naval aviation. To this day I still have dreams of flying fast movers for the US Navy. Due to some eye sight issues (red/green color blindness...more about that later) fate would have it that instead of trapping on aircraft carriers’ daily, I now sit my ass at a desk for 12+ hours a day, working deals Monday to Friday. While it pays the bills, not a day goes by that I don’t wish I was heading to TOPGUN to fly as an Aggressor pilot instead of heading to the office. Lucky for me there is DCS to help to scratch that itch. Outside of DCS I love to play golf (former scratch golfer, once tried to turn pro at age 19-20), watch sports, travel and spend time with my friends and family. I got married earlier this year, so in the case of acceptance as a cadet please bear with me while I learn to master the navigation of my new wife in terms of getting her to green light plenty of time for DCS – luckily, I married a great one so there shouldn’t be any issues. Still, I can't imagine that training for the 51st could ever be more difficult than learning to deal with the fact that I now have a new life boss, so I think I am up for the challenge :lol:

Why should we accept you: When I started to complete this application, I thought it to be a good idea to first look back on my old application that I submitted back in September of 2014 to the 104th Phoenix. Oddly enough, not much has changed – some time has passed, I suppose I know a bit more now than I did then, but I still have a lot to learn and I share the same general sentiments. Rather than reiterate my words, I will let my now almost 4-year-old words do the talking for me:
“Growing up it was my dream to become a fighter pilot in the US Navy. Earlier this year I learned of DCS while playing BF4 and the rest has been history. I love being able to use DCS as an outlet to satisfy my dream of becoming a great fighter pilot. By nature I am a perfectionist with a strong desire to be the best in anything I do. As a result of this personality trait, I am very willing to work hard to achieve that greatness. Over the last 5 months, with the guidance/coaching of more experience pilots in the 104th TS, I feel I have made many positive strides in improving as a virtual pilot. Still, I know I have much to learn and improve on. While I am proud of the initial progress I have made, I realize that those who become great were often guided and mentored by those that were great before them. That is where the 104th comes in, and I am excited that there is an even greater opportunity to achieve a steep learning curve within the 104th VFBS. I believe that having the opportunity to learn from, and fly as a team with, the members of the 104th is the optimal next step for me. My early track record of showing an ability to learn quickly and fly as part of a team make me confident that I have established the early foundational skills necessary to generate positive impact within the existing 104th family. All of these things make me confident that I would be a wise investment for the 104th.”
The time that I spent with the 104th was very valuable for me and I don’t ever want to discount that...but all good things come to end. I cannot thank those that invested time of their own in to developing me enough, and I will forever be in debt to them. In the end, not everything lines up as perfectly as it may have looked like it would on paper, and a couple of months ago I decided to hand my wings in to the 104th and step down from the squadron. This has opened the door to other new and exciting opportunities for me to continue my journey towards striving to be the best, and I believe joining the 51st is the only logical next step in my journey as a virtual fighter pilot and chasing down that dream. Thank you for your time and consideration, S!
Rage
Captain
Captain

Re: Buckeye application

Post by Rage » 01 Aug 2018 20:38

Hi Buckeye, Welcome to the 51st. Hop on our TS when you get a chance. Our admins will see to your forum access.
Buckeye

Post by Buckeye » 01 Aug 2018 20:56

Great news! Thank you for the review, happy to be on board. I will keep an eye out for an admin in TS 👍🏻

S!
Rage
Captain
Captain

Post by Rage » 01 Aug 2018 23:39

Like we discussed earlier I'm around this weekend and the following week. Let me or any of the guys know when's good for you and we can help set you up in the Flanker. I jumped the gun a little earlier...we gotta get the BSE done satisfactorily first! Acclimatise yourself with fingertip and level turns in the meantime.

Good luck!
Teknetinium
Major
Major

Post by Teknetinium » 02 Aug 2018 02:02

Welcome to 51st PVO Regiment forums Buckeye!
X-man
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by X-man » 02 Aug 2018 17:11

Welcome!
www.51bisons.com
51st TS 96.43.128.170
Buckeye

Post by Buckeye » 02 Aug 2018 19:43

Thanks for the welcome, gents.

Rage - I've got a busy work week (through Friday) the rest of this week and then I'm hosting a party at my house Friday night, but I will dedicate my free time on Saturday and Sunday to getting acclimated with the Flanker (i.e. actually binding keys, getting an initial feel for how she flies, etc). I will ping you on Discord to set up a time for next week to schedule whatever step #1 will be, sound good?
Rage
Captain
Captain

Post by Rage » 02 Aug 2018 22:45

Sounds good.
Buckeye

Post by Buckeye » 09 Aug 2018 13:00

0600 BSE take off with Moltar for the BSE graded as a "Pass" this morning, I will see you all in the Cadet Academy...looking forward to IQT. I will post my availability in there later today.

Special thanks to Moltar for the very early morning wake up to get this completed, and for the technical/PC help in dealing with issues on our attempt earlier this week.